Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What scent is YOUR handsoap?

I kind of have a thing for liquid hand soap. If I'm feeling spendy, I will splurge on a nice one for the master bath. In my dream world, I would have the L'Occitane ones in there all the time, but I'm talking Target here.

I wanted to take a moment to share the nuttiness of my kids with you......or is that what I've been doing all along....lol. Anyhow, tonight, as my kiddos are going to bed, Emilia announces that Nana and Jack's house smells good. Uh oh. I'm immediately worrying about what her critique of *our* house smell is going to be. (Emilia just may grow up to be a critic of some sort. Very discerning.) I was relieved to be informed that our house smells like nothing. But, she went on to educate me, my parents' house smells like the hand soap at Daddy's sink. The hand soap at Daddy's sink is a reject from my sink. I was dutifully using it up when Daddy expressed a wish for some hand soap, at which I gladly donated it. (I would have never tossed it. I am not like that. Unless I really hated it.) I couldn't remember exactly what that un-beloved scent was. "Not the Funky Farm," Emilia added. Funky Farm is the new hand soap (it's for kids) I allowed myself to buy this weekend in an effort to get my kids a little less resistant to hand washing. It's working. That stuff turned out to be awesome. I bought one for each bathroom. One is floral (daisy, to be exact, although I do not ever remember smelling a daisy) and nice, the other smells like orange Popsicles and is YUM. But neither of those are what Nana's house smells like. "Like the ocean one?" Lucas asked. (See, some men are interested in all of this!) The ocean one is MY soap, it's Method "Sea Minerals," quite lovely, and had formerly been used to entice Lucas to wash up before meals and after toileting (hence his familiarity with it.) This was pre-Funky Farm, of course. No, I let him know this was not the scent in question, either. It was the one at Daddy's sink. Thankfully, their curiosity ended there, and I was allowed to leave the room and reenter sanity for these few brief hours I am allowed each evening. I ran to the bathroom. Green Tea and Lemongrass. I don't have a good ending for this, except to say that I guess I'm passing on my soap obsession!

1 comment:

Jack Krug said...

Spent a lot of time at Nana's sink... if it's not Irish Spring then it gets tough, because second place is a 20-soap tie among a bunch of hotel freebies!

BTW, you write like Joseph Conrad -- he didn't like paragraphs, either! ;-)