Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Eight Kids who Beat Up their Friend

Did you see this one? You Tube Video? Yeah, it's appalling. The snippets I caught must have been watered down, because it didn't really seem like much of a "beat down" to me. Like I said, I know I only saw part of the video. Then (of course) I had to watch all the You Tube "I Wanna Be a Movie Star" commentators. They just want to be heard, I suppose. But I did not need to spend over an hour on You Tube watching everyone and their brother comment on this story, that's for sure. I need to stick to my one blog a night to stay creative rather than, whatever it is when you watch dopey stuff for too long and then feel stupid.

What stuck with me today after watching all of it was the video of the victim's parents. (In my defense, I *think* I was searching for this as I watched response after response. ;) ) The parents were upset, OF COURSE. They actually seemed calmer than I would have expected. It isn't too hard to imagine what you might be feeling had this happened to YOUR child.

What struck me though, were the father's comments about the Internet and our society being to blame for this incident. He expresses his belief that "My Space is the Anti-Christ for children." Hmm. Uh, if My Space is the ANTI-CHRIST, Sir, may I politely ask why you have been allowing your daughter to be a part of it? I suppose you noticed all the negativity after your daughter became the victim of My Space?"

I understand where this man is coming from, and I know it is a natural inclination to want to place the blame. And there are clearly some serious problems occurring with all this Internet socialization. Heck, there are serious problems everywhere. Our society is getting really messed up, isn't it?

I do have to agree with all those commentators. They all said about the same thing, each in his own way. This is messed up! But it isn't really the fault of the Internet. It would be easy to say it is the fault of the parents. Parents do have a grand responsibility in raising "good kids," and it is my personal opinion that a whole lot of parents are messing up BIG TIME. But you know what? This might sound fruitless, but the parents that don't know how to be parents? They don't know how to be parents because their parents didn't know how to be parents. And so on and so on. I often think about this. When we talk about the "troubled" in our society, it is easy to blame the parents. But you know darn well this stuff trickles down. Bad parents come from bad parents. You know if your Dad beats your Mom and you're neglected, yelled at, and shamed, what do you think you're going to turn around and do to your kids? It's not rocket science. What it is, is the cycle of bad. Instead of pointing fingers we DO need to figure out what can be done to FIX it. It won't be one thing. It will be a million little things. Small and big things, mostly big things, probably. People realizing there is a need and filling it, somehow. People being real. Really helping. Speaking the truth. Dedicating themselves to causes. There are enough of them (causes, that is.) This video appalled a lot of us. Bitching about it is one thing. If it really upsets you, though, DO SOMETHING, right?

CIAO! Tracy

1 comment:

Jack Krug said...

Until the internet, I used to think that good, reasonably sane people outnumbered the crazies. I am less certain now; for every nice thing I read or watch, there are easily a half-dozen or so entries that are, well, SAD. The original, crazy entry doesn't bother so much as the HUNDREDS of comments that urge on those kinds of posts. It's almost as if people are PROUD of their ignorance and stupidity!